Under his nose..








8. Stone’s throw...

What happened next is something out of a movie…. Not a good one, but never the less some movie! Kirtana had gotten a call from an old classmate of her’s, a guy named Karan, who she had gone out with in college, but was one of those relationships that felt like a sham to begin with, so they split amicably. He was in town on some work and had bumped into Anish today, who he happened to know, and they had gotten talking and one topic lead to another… and he got Kit’s phone number. They spoke for half an hour, mostly about what had been happening in each other’s lives since college days and Maliha was left to figure out where everything was in the kitchen to get dinner ready!

Karan went on to invite Kit to dinner the next day, and Kit said she would get back to him; she would have to check her schedule she had said. The conversation ended soon after, and Kit could not help but feel some residual 'feelings' she had for this Karan, the boy of her college girl heart. She also felt happy that Anish had met her ex, it made her more interesting...and could even make him…a little jealous? If that made any sense! What had she been thinking though…to go out with him? She wondered for a few seconds, before Mali, cut right through that thought cloud… “Kit!! Dinner… hope you like over salted dal, it’s my specialty!”…she laughed. “So who was the mystery caller that had you all wound up…did I hear you say you would have to check your schedule for something? I thought you did not take calls from work after 8?”

“Is that what I sounded like? Like I was talking to a client?” Kit was mildly insulted. Just how did one talk to old college boyfriends you speak to after four years… She did however push through the little blow to her ego and tell Mali about Karan. Mali’s response was predictable to say the least! She said.. “So go? What’s the big deal? At least go to see if he has become fat or bald or even worse…better looking?!” she laughed. “Come on Kitty, give Karan another chance” she winked. Kit laughed too, she went back to her thoughts, and added another… “Why was Mali so persuasive, and how did it work so easily on her…” She would just have to give in.

She called Karan back; they would meet at the Thai place. The same night Mali was going to a play? Mali had a social life in this city in a matter of two days, what would she do in a few months?

The next day, Mali went off for the play. She had made friends with some of Kit’s neighbours and two of the guys were totally fascinated with her lifestyle. They had hit it off so well, that the three were going for the play that night. Kirtana was left with her closet full of clothes, and nothing to wear for her ‘date’ and it was driving her crazy. She finally settled on a blue silk, and got dressed.

(Back at the restaurant where the story of Manu the playwright had begun)…Kirtana looked at Manu. Manu blinked at Kirtana. She got up, took two steps back and said… “Excuse me??” Manu got up. He had been on his knees, for two minutes but it seemed longer. “I’m sorry to take you by surprise, but you are beautiful… I had my eyes on you since you walked in.”

Kit was a little violated and flattered all at once. “I’m not sure you handle you drinks too well, is this some drunken advance?? I’ll have you arrested!”…said Kit in shrill and defensive tone.” Wow, relax there; I’ve had nothing to drink. And let me explain, I am a playwright and director. I just thought you moved like a dancer, and are so ravishing, that to do my next play without you would be career suicide…” he said dramatically…Classic Manu!

“Ravishing…stunning?? I think you need to relax… I am not going to fall for cheap flattery! What do you want?” said Kirtana, rudely but leaving room for a response. “Here’s my number… call me on Monday, please! I’ll explain then… I can tell you are waiting for someone…I won’t keep you any longer. Please call…oh and watch my play!” he handed her a flyer. This was what Mali had gone for…She remembered the premise and title! So this guy was for real. She would have to think about calling him!

Manu woke up the next day, tired and cranky. He had stayed up most of the night thinking about his next play. He needed a story, a line of thought… but nothing. He was frustrated… he needed some inspiration. And the girl in blue had been it. He had just given her his card, but did not even know her name or if she would call. He did know that his next play would be about a dancer…he made himself a cup of coffee, and stood out on his balcony. The sun had risen an hour ago and the sky had a warm glow with small clusters of clouds. The sunlight felt comforting on Manu’s tattooed arms… he was looking at the lawn below. The gardener was going about his work, oblivious to the spectator above on the 6th floor. Manu could smell the rain from last night… he closed his eyes and took it all in. He needed an idea… and he needed the mystery lady in blue to call… he wanted her to..

Right across from his building Kirtana was just getting up in her bedroom… her date had stood her up! And she had been angry about the disaster the week had been…except of course…the arrival of Mali…This Saturday she had plans… to stay in bed, pull the covers over her head and hide from life! Would she succeed?...

posted under |

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I havent found time earlier to read more of ur writing...must say its getting more intresting with more new characters n ur imagination about characters thinkin is simply superb..ur getting in to each characters shoes which i like the most....will look forward to read more Shurti..n u have already created a suspense now..will hope u come up wit somethin soon...

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

How this story works..part two

So in a lot of stories there always is a gradual build up from introducing the main characters, establishing the relationships and elaborating on the plot, before it reaches the crux of the story and then finishes. I intend to keep that formula, but add my own flavour to this.. so read, and yes there will be more character introduction chapters, I'll get deeper into the story soon :)
Apart from this, I have decided to keep the names of cities a mystery. I will probably never mention the name of a city specifically, because when you do that, you have to be factually correct, and that might take away from the story on a blog :) so the only things I will ever write about specifically are my characters and what happens to them. The 'where' part will be appropriately described :) and will leave you guessing ;)

Behind this title...

So if you are reading this (thank you!) you are probably wondering what this blog title is about. Why a seemingly normal girl (if you know me or have read my profile) would choose to title her blog so. Well, I can explain it this way. As I see it pretty much everything and everyone around me , and for that matter you, is driven by one of these two sentiments. So no matter what I will ever talk about, it will always come down to something that was done to go after happiness or satisfaction or just not! It is my idea of simplifying the way I think of thoughts (yes think of thoughts), actions, intentions behind anything. And I am one for 'word plays'. So yes I like that my blog can sound like something (a book) we are already familiar with :)

So in this blog I will share with you a story I am writing.. its a story where the characters , events and situations are all derived from my own life. Enjoy :) and I would like your help and suggestions in building this story.. :)

Understand that this story is not true, its just an escape.. and completely a figment of my imagination :)

StatCounter


here is where I create, create a story of people and their lives and experiences, and the chapters are coming along piece by piece... :) and I am using people from my own life as my inspiration, and putting facets of different personalities to create characters I can love and relate to and hope that you will too :) I love that I can make up anything I want, and make any thing a reality in this story and I hope to actually write some books some day.. so enjoy!

About Me

My photo
a story teller (where this really applies) and lover of stories :) and some things in between too! will keep them coming!
Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Checker

Followers


Recent Comments